This morning, forgetting my walking stick delayed me by only a minute or so, but that was enough to throw off my usual commuting routine. I missed my regular train and ended up standing for much of the journey. It was inconvenient, but perhaps knowing an alternative routine is not such a bad thing. After all, even the most familiar patterns do not always go according to plan.
This morning, just after leaving home, I realized that I had forgotten my walking stick and hurried back to get it.
I thought it had delayed me by only a minute or so, but then I got caught at the traffic light just before the station and ended up missing my usual train.
I decided to take the fastest route instead. At least I managed to get a seat when I boarded in Kamakura, but although my commute takes two hours each way, I have the connections timed fairly tightly. To avoid being counted as late for work, I had to change trains along the way, and from then on I ended up standing.
Well, it couldn’t be helped.
There are different ways of looking at things, so there is no point in complaining too much about it.
I don’t particularly mind standing, but it makes writing my blog on my phone rather inconvenient.
I can’t really work on the photos, either.
Having my usual routine thrown off was inconvenient, but perhaps it is not such a bad idea to know an alternative way of doing things once in a while, just in case I ever really need it.
The injured foot, however, was definitely unnecessary.
We are now in the final week of September.
The intensely hot summer has somehow slipped away, and the trees on the hills surrounding Kamakura are beginning to change color.
And yet, once again, it is raining today.
How long is this going to continue?
Apparently, we have reached the point where it has rained at least once every day.
With this much rain, it is easy to understand how the ground can become saturated and unable to absorb any more water.
All I can do is hope that the next storm, Typhoon No. 26, does not head straight for Japan.
Come to think of it, we were extremely lucky to have a clear view of the harvest moon the other day.
Perhaps seeing the harvest moon through all these rainy days was a small stroke of luck after all.
・・・
throw off a routine — 「いつものルーティンを狂わせる」。ちょっとしたことで普段の流れがずれること。
get caught at a traffic light — 「信号に引っかかる」。日常会話で自然な表現。
it couldn’t be helped — 「まあ、仕方ない」。自分ではどうにもできないことを受け入れる表現。
just in case — 「念のため」「いざという時のために」。
slip away — 季節や時間などが「いつのまにか過ぎ去る」。
saturated — 「水分で飽和した」。the ground becomes saturated で、大地が水を吸収しきれなくなった状態。
a stroke of luck — 「思いがけない幸運」「ちょっとした幸運」。今回の「きわめてラッキーだった」という感覚に合う表現。
#DailyRoutine #MorningCommute #RainyDays #HarvestMoon #ChangingSeasons #Kamakura #JapanesePathologist


No comments:
Post a Comment