On the second day of every month, I look back on my reading from the previous month. In August 2026, I read only one book: Haruki Murakami’s long-awaited The Tale of KAHO. But the month also made me think about aging, physical decline, and the way even great writers may lose some of their former momentum.
There are still humid days, but the sky is becoming more and more autumnal. As the old Japanese saying goes, autumn evenings fall as quickly as a bucket dropping into a well. By the time I leave the hospital, it is already dark.
When autumn arrives, I gradually begin to feel a little lonely. Yesterday, something happened that only deepened that feeling.
I ran so as not to miss my train, and ended up injuring my right Achilles tendon. As a result, I spent the entire day limping on my right leg.
It still hurts this morning, but it does not seem to have ruptured. For the moment, I am managing with a compress and a supporter.
Just because I work at a hospital does not mean I can easily see a doctor. Work is packed tightly, and I cannot simply step away.
A troublesome situation.
Recently, Shohei Ohtani of the Los Angeles Dodgers has not been in good form.
Apparently, various parts of his body are hurting. Perhaps this, too, is a matter of aging. The body is no longer the same as it was when one was young.
Last month, I read only one book. It was the long-awaited new book by Haruki Murakami. But to me, it felt abruptly unfinished.
Murakami is now seventy-seven years old. Perhaps it is his age, but it seemed to me that he had lost quite a bit of his former drive.
These days, I hear more and more news of famous people passing away. Each time I hear such news, I feel regret, but at the same time I find myself thinking deeply that every human being, without exception, eventually declines.
In the end, I read only one book last month. Please note that the following review contains possible spoilers.
Reading Meter: August 2026
My August Reading Meter Summary
Books read: 1
Pages read: 352
Likes: 34
夏帆 The Tale of KAHO
My review of 夏帆 The Tale of KAHO
Is this really the end? No, surely not.
For the first time, I felt let down by Haruki Murakami.
When fewer than twenty pages remained, I began to worry about how he was going to bring this enormous story to a close. But then the Sahara Desert, the former playboy uncle, the married couple, and even the queen were all wrapped up together.
What on earth was that?
Given Murakami’s usual scale, this story could easily have been long enough for two volumes.
Did he simply become tired of dealing with it?
I had taken my time reading it, so the ending felt all the more disappointing.
I wish he would write spin-offs for each of the characters. Or perhaps I, as a reader, am supposed to imagine each of their endings for myself.
Date finished: August 8
Author: Haruki Murakami
Source: Bookmeter
A strained Achilles tendon and an unfinished Murakami novel both reminded me that decline comes for everyone.
・・・
Vocabulary for Learners
Achilles tendon
The strong tendon at the back of the ankle that connects the calf muscle to the heel.
アキレス腱。
limp
To walk with difficulty because one leg or foot hurts.
足を引きずって歩く。
rupture
To tear or break suddenly, especially inside the body.
断裂する。
compress
A cloth or pad used on an injured part of the body, often with medicine or cooling material.
湿布、冷湿布。
not be in good form
To be performing worse than usual, especially in sports or work.
調子がよくない。
former momentum
The energy, force, or drive that someone used to have.
かつての勢い。
abruptly unfinished
Ending too suddenly, without enough resolution.
尻切れ蜻蛉の、急に終わってしまった。
feel let down
To feel disappointed because something did not meet one’s expectations.
拍子抜けする、がっかりする。
wrap up
To bring a story or situation to an end.
話をまとめる、終わらせる。
without exception
For everyone or everything, with no one left out.
例外なく。
#ReadingRecord #HarukiMurakami #TheTaleOfKAHO #Bookmeter #JapaneseEssay #ColoKen

No comments:
Post a Comment