Some days, I cannot think of anything to write about. Yet perhaps the very act of searching for a topic reveals something essential: as long as we are alive, we are always thinking about something.
There are days when I simply cannot think of a topic for my blog.
Perhaps it would be enough just to keep a diary of what happens each day. But since I spend about half of my waking hours at work, it is not always easy to find something outside work that is worth writing about.
I can write about lectures, peer reviews, and other activities related to my profession, but of course I cannot say much about their actual content.
Needless to say, writing about day-to-day duties at work or relationships with colleagues is even more difficult.
Of course, if I wanted to look for topics on television, in newspapers, or on the internet, there would be no shortage of material.
If I asked AI for help, it could probably give me ten or twenty ideas within seconds. And by looking at my previous posts, it could probably even write something that sounded “like me.”
But then it would no longer be my blog.
I may ask AI to proofread what I have written, but unless the starting point is something I myself have thought or felt that day, there seems little point in writing it.
When I think about it that way, I am rather surprised that I have managed to write something every day.
Perhaps that in itself is evidence that human beings are always thinking about something.
To create something out of nothing and then leave it behind in words may be something particularly human.
Animals, of course, must also think about many things as they go through their daily lives. By making sounds, they may even engage in a simple form of putting their thoughts or feelings into expression. But unlike humans, they can hardly leave those thoughts behind as a record.
Perhaps the significance of human existence lies not simply in continuing to live, but in continuing to think.
That does not mean that life becomes meaningless if one loses the ability to think.
Rather, as long as we are alive, we are probably thinking about something every day.
And somehow, we give expression to those thoughts.
In my case, that means writing a blog every day.
I have no idea how much value there is in expressing my thoughts this way.
At the very least, I have no grand ambition to charge people money to read these posts. In that sense, my blog probably has very little monetary value.
Still, reading what other people think allows us to encounter the diversity of human thought.
Even when someone usually writes about familiar things in a familiar way, there are days when they suddenly approach something from a slightly different angle. Reading such a post can make me stop and think, “Ah, that is another way of looking at it.”
And yet, putting exactly what we think into words is a surprisingly difficult task.
Perhaps that difficulty itself is one reason we keep trying to write.
・・・
Vocabulary for Learners
no shortage of
More than enough of something; plenty available.
不足がない、いくらでもある
starting point
The place, idea, or thought from which something begins.
出発点、きっかけ
evidence
Facts or signs that show something is probably true.
証拠、根拠、証左
put something into words
To express thoughts or feelings using language.
考えや気持ちを言葉にする、言語化する
give expression to
To show or communicate a thought, feeling, or idea.
考えや感情を表現する
monetary value
The value of something measured in money.
金銭的価値
diversity of human thought
The many different ways in which people think and understand the world.
人間の思考の多様性
from a different angle
From another point of view or way of thinking.
別の角度から、違った視点で
#JapanesePathologist #DailyWriting #Blogging #AIandWriting #ThinkingInWords

No comments:
Post a Comment