Aug 31, 2026

How Can We Stop Japan from Becoming More Fragile?

As climate disasters become more frequent and aging infrastructure becomes harder to maintain, Japan seems increasingly vulnerable. But perhaps this is not only Japan’s problem. Many developed countries may be facing the same question: how do we rebuild societies that are slowly becoming more fragile?


This summer is finally nearing its end.

I worked reasonably hard and became quite exhausted, but I was able to relax a little last weekend, and I feel considerably refreshed.

The temperature is not particularly high today either, making the day relatively comfortable.

And yet, perhaps because of climate change, floods and other water-related disasters are occurring repeatedly across the country. They are beginning to feel almost routine.

Whenever I watch footage of these disasters on the news, I find myself wondering what will happen to Japan if things continue this way.

Recovery from the latest disasters will probably take a long time. Even then, I suspect it may be impossible for the affected communities to return completely to what they once were.

People often say that they will “start again from scratch,” but things that have been built up over many years cannot simply be restored overnight.

It is painful to think that people may have known what was coming and yet had little choice but to stand by and watch because there was no realistic way to prevent the disaster.

Japan’s budget for the next fiscal year is reportedly expected to reach a record 140 trillion yen.

But what exactly will all that money be used for?

There was once a Japanese politician who advocated making the Japanese archipelago more resilient.

And yet, rather than becoming more resilient, the country sometimes seems to be growing increasingly fragile, especially as infrastructure continues to age.

There are probably countless reasons why Japan has reached this point.

Even if we identify one particular cause, there will always be others. And perhaps, in some cases, we should even be grateful that things did not deteriorate further.

Still, I doubt that human beings alone can restore Japan to what it once was.

If we truly reach the point where rebuilding the country by ourselves is no longer possible, perhaps I would like to see something like “Plan A” become reality: a future in which humans and AI coexist, and society is managed more rationally with the help of AI.

And perhaps Japan is not unique in this respect.

Many countries are facing aging infrastructure, climate-related disasters, demographic pressures, rising public spending, and political systems that struggle to make long-term decisions.

Japan may simply be one of the places where these problems have become easier to see.

If, by the time my life comes to an end, AI has begun helping human societies overcome some of these problems, I think I could leave this world with considerably fewer worries about what comes next.

Perhaps the real challenge is not how to restore the world we once had, but how to build a society strong enough for the world that is coming.

・・・ 

Vocabulary for Learners

fragile
Easily damaged, weakened, or broken.
壊れやすい、脆弱な

resilient
Able to recover from difficulties, disasters, or major changes.
困難や災害から立ち直る力のある、強靭な

infrastructure
The basic systems a society needs, such as roads, bridges, water supplies, and electricity.
道路、橋、水道、電力などの社会基盤、インフラ

restore
To return something to its previous condition.
元の状態に戻す、復旧する

from scratch
From the very beginning, without relying on what existed before.
ゼロから、一から

deteriorate
To become gradually worse.
徐々に悪化する

demographic pressures
Social or economic problems caused by changes in population, such as aging or population decline.
高齢化や人口減少など人口構造の変化による社会的・経済的圧力

long-term decisions
Decisions made with future consequences in mind rather than only immediate benefits.
目先だけでなく将来を考えた長期的な意思決定


#Japan #ClimateChange #NaturalDisasters #Infrastructure #AgingSociety #ArtificialIntelligence #AI #SocialResilience #FutureOfSociety #Sustainability

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Can We Stop Japan from Becoming More Fragile?

As climate disasters become more frequent and aging infrastructure becomes harder to maintain, Japan seems increasingly vulnerable. But perh...