Oct 10, 2026

Still Nervous at My Age?

Even after decades of experience, giving a presentation at an international conference can still be nerve-racking. My slides and script are ready, but speaking English without notes is another matter. Watching a Nobel Prize winner read from a prepared script made me feel a little better. Perhaps relying on a script is not something to be embarrassed about, after all. Still, I cannot help wondering why I continue to get nervous before a presentation, even at my age.


An international conference is just around the corner, my first in quite some time, and I'm feeling a little nervous.

My slides and script are ready, so all that's left is to give the presentation.

Ideally, I'd like to speak without looking at my notes, but I just can't seem to memorize what I want to say.

In the end, it looks as though I'll have to read from my script.

I was thinking to myself, somewhat self-deprecatingly, that we Japanese really aren't very good at English.

But then, while watching the news coverage of the Nobel Prizes, I noticed someone reading from a prepared script.

Perhaps English wasn't their native language, and they had prepared a script just to be on the safe side.

That's what I decided to tell myself to put my mind at ease.

Still, getting nervous before a conference presentation, even at my age, is rather frustrating—or perhaps a little embarrassing.

Perhaps getting nervous simply means that I still care about doing my best.


 

・・・


just around the corner

目前に迫っている。日常会話でもよく使う表現

nerve-racking

神経がすり減るような、緊張する

speak without looking at my notes

原稿を見ずに話す

can't seem to memorize

どうしても覚えられない。can't memorize より少し柔らかい

read from my script

用意した原稿を読む。学会発表でも自然な表現

self-deprecatingly

自嘲気味に、自分を少し卑下して

just to be on the safe side

念のため、万全を期して

put my mind at ease

気持ちを楽にする、安心する

rather frustrating

何とももどかしい、困ったものだ


#InternationalConference #AcademicPresentation #PublicSpeaking #EnglishPresentation #NobelPrize #PresentationAnxiety #LifelongLearning #NeverTooOldToLearn #国際学会 #英語発表 #学会発表 #緊張 #生涯学習

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Live with AI: A Challenge Shared Around the World @IAP2026

 Artificial intelligence is rapidly changing the practice of medicine, including pathology. While AI offers remarkable benefits, it also rai...