Oct 4, 2026

Morning on the Beach, Evening by the Harbor

 A day that began unexpectedly in the middle of the night turned into a full day by the sea. After watching Major League Baseball, I took Anne to Enoshima for a morning walk along the beach, then headed to Yokohama in the evening for a dog sports festival. By the end of the day, I realized once again how much having Anne in my life has encouraged me to go out, explore, and enjoy places I might otherwise never visit.

 I happened to wake up in the middle of the night, and that was the beginning of the end.

I immediately remembered that the Major League Baseball postseason Division Series broadcasts were starting today, so I turned on NHK.

First came the White Sox.

By the time I switched on the TV, Murakami had already hit a home run, but the White Sox went on to beat the Guardians and take their first win of the series.

Next came the Dodgers.

I was relieved when I saw a caption saying that Ohtani had gotten a hit.

Their starting pitcher was doing well, so I figured they would be all right from there. Instead of going back to sleep, I decided to take Anne out for a walk.

Since my foot had started hurting again, I drove to Enoshima and walked with her along the boardwalk and the beach.


 

There were many people by the sea, each enjoying their own kind of exercise or recreation, and Anne joined in by going into the water and having some fun of her own.

After returning home, I took care of a few things around the house, and in the late afternoon we headed to Yokohama.

Our destination was the Dog Sports Festival being held at Rinko Park, a waterfront park overlooking Yokohama Harbor.

There were all kinds of shops selling things for dogs, along with various dog-related events and activities.

So, after a day that began with far too little sleep, this is about as much as I can manage to write tonight.


 

In the morning, we were on the beach; in the evening, by the harbor.

Thanks to Anne, I spent the whole day going from one place to another.

On the way home, it suddenly occurred to me that the reason I get to visit so many places and enjoy so many different experiences is simply that Anne is with us.

Once again, I found myself grateful to her.

Sometimes a dog does more than walk beside us — she quietly expands the world we live in.

・・・

the beginning of the end
「これで終わりだ」「これが運の尽きだった」という意味の表現。ここでは少しユーモラスに使っています。

go on to do
「その後〜する」。
The White Sox went on to beat the Guardians.
=ホワイトソックスはそのままガーディアンズを破った。

figure
ここでは「〜だろうと考える、判断する」。会話でもよく使われる自然な表現。

take care of a few things
「ちょっとした用事を片付ける」。日本語の「家のことを少し片付ける」に近い柔らかい表現。

overlook
「〜を見渡す、〜に面している」。
Rinko Park overlooks Yokohama Harbor. のように場所の説明によく使います。

occur to someone
「(考えなどが)ふと頭に浮かぶ」。
It suddenly occurred to me that ...
=「ふと〜だと気づいた」。

expand my world
直訳すれば「私の世界を広げる」。行動範囲だけでなく、経験や人とのつながりが増えるという含みのある表現。

 

#LifeWithDogs #Enoshima #Yokohama #DogLife #WeekendWalk #Kamakura #JapanesePathologist



No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning on the Beach, Evening by the Harbor

  A day that began unexpectedly in the middle of the night turned into a full day by the sea. After watching Major League Baseball, I took A...