Aug 4, 2026

The Fear of No Longer Being Myself

A month ago, I turned to AI in near panic because my work had completely stalled. Since then, I have discovered just how powerful AI can be—not by doing my work for me, but by helping me organize it. Yet the more I rely on it, the more I wonder where my own thinking ends and AI's begins.


It has been about a month since I panicked over a mountain of stalled work and turned to AI for help.

Since then, my work has been moving forward smoothly.

Of course, nothing gets done by itself. I still have plenty of work that only I can do.

When I give AI my to-do list and ask it to organize my schedule, it creates a realistic plan for each day.

I started as "an experiment," but by the third day I was already following its suggestions almost without question.

Tasks that had been piling up for weeks began to disappear one after another.

Even when I add new assignments or things that worry me, it reorganizes everything with remarkable ease.

I have never had a personal secretary, but I imagine this is what it might feel like.

Then again, perhaps it is even better.

Unlike a human assistant, AI never gets sick, never has a bad day, and never becomes irritated.

For all I know, human secretaries may already be using AI themselves to manage the schedules of the people they support.

When something manages my daily life this efficiently, I find myself asking it about almost everything.

Little by little, I begin to think less with my own mind.

When I write an article, I still do the writing myself. If AI tells me what to tackle first, I follow that advice.

Then I ask it to review my draft as well.

Sometimes its revisions are so extensive that they almost amount to rewriting the piece, yet I often find myself agreeing with the result.

Only a year ago, AI still made mistakes often enough to make me uneasy.

Now it has become remarkably accurate.

I still have to check for hallucinations myself, but there are moments when I feel that my own professional knowledge is struggling to keep up with the amount of information AI can bring to the discussion.

I never imagined AI would become this useful.

Yet sometimes I feel as though it is quietly taking over part of my mind.

Perhaps I am simply becoming aware of the limits of what I can organize and think through by myself, leaving everything beyond those limits to AI.

I usually know what I understand and what I do not.

So I provide only the basic outline and let AI help with the rest.

Still, I do not think that should become the normal way of living.

If human beings are to remain fully human, we must understand both the strengths and the limitations of AI.

Perhaps our future lies not in competing with AI, but in recognizing where it reaches its limits—and expressing our humanity beyond that point.

The greatest risk may not be that AI becomes more intelligent, but that we gradually stop using our own minds.

・・・

Word / PhraseEnglish Definition日本語
stalled workWork that has stopped making progress.行き詰まった仕事
to-do listA list of tasks that need to be completed.やるべきこと一覧
follow someone's suggestionsTo do what another person recommends.助言に従う
pile upTo accumulate over time.積み重なる
reorganizeTo arrange something in a better order.再編成する
hallucination (AI)Incorrect information confidently generated by an AI system.AIのハルシネーション(もっともらしい誤情報)
professional knowledgeSpecialized knowledge gained through one's profession.専門知識
struggle to keep up withTo have difficulty matching the speed or progress of something.~についていくのに苦労する
take overTo gradually assume control or responsibility.引き継ぐ、支配する
humanityThe qualities that make us human, such as judgment, empathy, and creativity.人間性

#AI #ArtificialIntelligence #Productivity #Humanity #Pathologist #Kamakura

No comments:

Post a Comment

AI, the Stirring of the Mind, and the Future of Humanity

A playful experiment with AI-generated fiction unexpectedly became unsettling. That experience made me wonder: if AI ever threatens humanity...