A humid early-morning walk with Anne, a World Cup final, and a Dodgers victory made for an unexpectedly eventful start to a public holiday. Still, some days are best spent doing as little as possible.
I woke up early again this morning to take Anne for a walk.
The World Cup final was supposed to be on television from four in the morning.
Then I suddenly wondered how the Dodgers were doing. When I checked online, I saw that Yamamoto was pitching very well, so I hurriedly turned on the television.
Unfortunately, perhaps because it was the first game of a doubleheader hastily arranged after the previous day’s rainout, I was unable to watch him complete his impressive victory.
I am not particularly interested in soccer, so I took Anne out for her walk.
My wife, incidentally, chose soccer.
Even without my wife beside me, I still greet people.
As I walked, I said, “Good morning,” even to people who might have thought the greeting unnecessary.
It would probably be more difficult if I were simply a middle-aged man walking alone. With “cute” Anne beside me, however, it is easy.
Many of the other dog owners know Anne, at least, and I would rather not appear unfriendly and be compared unfavorably with my much more sociable wife.
There was no wind, and the morning was oppressively humid.
So, when I met other people walking their dogs, I went a little beyond the usual greeting and said,
“It is hot, isn’t it? The humidity is terrible today.”
I assumed that anyone who walks a dog every morning would also notice that the humidity was worse than it had been the day before.
I had intended to include a few uphill and downhill stretches in our walk again this morning.
But Anne began panting heavily and drooling, so I cut the walk a little shorter than usual and returned home.
By the time I got back, the World Cup final had gone into extra time.
Soon after the second half of extra time began, I was able to watch Spain score an extraordinary goal.
There is little point in becoming too anxious about manuscripts, conferences, and everything else.
Today is Marine Day, and since it is a holiday, I have decided to spend the rest of the day taking it easy.
A day off should sometimes be allowed to remain exactly that—a day off.
・・・
doubleheader
Two games played by the same teams on the same day.
同じ日に同じチーム同士が2試合行うこと、ダブルヘッダー
rainout
The cancellation or postponement of an outdoor event because of rain.
雨天中止
incidentally
Used when adding a related but less important piece of information.
ちなみに、ついでに言えば
be compared unfavorably with
To be judged as worse than another person or thing.
〜と比べて見劣りすると判断される
oppressively humid
Uncomfortably and heavily humid.
息苦しいほど蒸し暑い
go beyond the usual greeting
To say more than a simple hello.
普通の挨拶より少し踏み込んで話す
pant heavily
To breathe quickly and deeply, especially because of heat or exercise.
激しく息をする、あえぐ
take it easy
To relax and avoid unnecessary effort or stress.
のんびり過ごす、無理をしない
#MarineDay #DogWalking #SummerInJapan #TakingItEasy #pathologist



No comments:
Post a Comment