May 24, 2026

Preparing for a Memorial Service and Taking a Hike

 A quiet day spent preparing for my father’s seventh memorial service, tending the family grave, planting flowers, and later walking through a hilly park in Fujisawa. Sometimes, a day without much thinking is exactly what one needs.


 

I cleaned the family grave in preparation for my father’s seventh memorial service.

I bought flowers that can withstand dry weather, then cleaned the area and planted them.

In the evening, I visited Shinbayashi Park in Fujisawa.

I walked the full hiking course, with its surprisingly steep ups and downs, and broke a sweat for the first time in a while.


 

I did not use my head much today.

But once in a while, that is probably just fine.

Some days are better spent moving quietly than thinking too much. 

・・・

Vocabulary for Learners

  • memorial service:法事
  • family grave:先祖代々のお墓、家のお墓
  • withstand dry weather:乾燥に耐える
  • steep ups and downs:きついアップダウン
  • break a sweat:汗をかく
  • once in a while:たまには

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ah, Rain Again on the Last Day of the Holiday

  Four out of the five days of this year’s Silver Week holiday have been rainy around Kamakura. After the torrential rain and flooding two d...